The new Dojo courses are a series of classes on various topics lead by “The Professor,” Benjamin Bradley, the first two series of which cover CSS and PHP. Each of these courses will be 6-8 courses long and are built as modules, so the skill level of each (and your skill level, as well) will grow with each new lesson.
From how to align your image to using the z-index to layer images, Benjamin shows you how to style your images in the first of the CSS Dojo classes.
Here are some of the things learned in the CSS Dojo:
- CSS is the “presentation layer” on the web
- Any HTML tag (or “selector”) can be styled using CSS
- The different background styles you can create using your image
- How to create various hover effects on images (opacity, position, etc.)
In the first installment of the PHP Dojo, Benjamin explained what variables are and how to use them. He also touched on functions and how they work.
Here are some of the things learned in the PHP Dojo:
- Variables are containers used to store information
- The difference between “global” and “local” variables
- A PHP function, at base level, is a “dictionary definition”
- The different naming rules for variables
You can find replays of both the Dojo courses in the members’ library. Not a WebDesign.com member yet? Check out information on our different membership levels.